Thursday 29 September 2011

Matlab and version control with Subversion

At my company, we use Subversion for version control of our software. I currently use RabbitVCS as a file explorer front-end for Subversion (in Ubuntu Linux), but I've been looking for a way to use Subversion directly from Matlab.

I haven't found any solution that fully integrates with the file explorer in Matlab yet, although there are some useful tools available. However, it wasn't until today that I realized (the bleeding obvious fact) that the Subversion command line interface can be used directly from the command line. Simply put an exclamation mark in front and call the svn commands as usual, for example:

!svn help
!svn status
!svn add file1.m
!svn commit -m "This is a log message"

The command line version of Subversion is both simple and reliable, so until the Mathworks makes an official Subversion plugin, I guess I'm sticking to this approach.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

4 years later...
They have a partially implemented GUI plugin, which doesn't expose even a fraction of SVN's command line. And as far as I can tell you still have to use the external command operator (!) to use SVN at the Matlab command line. Which sucks, because I'd really like to have SVN commands built into Matlab, so they'd be available on any system that has Matlab...because IT and admin rights and coworkers who don't need to be dealing with this and blah blah..

Post a Comment