Thursday 29 April 2010

Problem loading Ubuntu 9.10 (Wubi) after update

Today I installed an Ubuntu update and rebooted the machine, only to find that I was unable to start Ubuntu. In stead, I was stuck within the "GRUB boot loader". After some intense frustration, followed by some grumbling research on another machine, I found the cause of the problem.

When I installed Ubuntu, I used Wubi, which installs Ubuntu as a Windows program. Wubi uses the GRUB boot loader, but there is a bug in GRUB which can potentially disrupt the Ubuntu boot process each time the linux kernel or GRUB is updated. The problem and its solution is described on this Sourceforge wiki page. In short, one needs to log into windows and replace the faulty file wubildr in the C:/ folder with this file.

0 comments:

Post a Comment