Tuesday 26 June 2012

Creating a simple nomenclature for a PhD thesis (or similar)

The deadline for my PhD thesis is drawing close, and I'm putting on some finishing touches. One of the things I'm currently working on is the nomenclature - a list of all the mathematical symbols. There are several tools for doing this "properly", like the glossaries and nomencl packages, but they work best if you use them consistently through the entire writing process. It's too late for me to use these, so I have to add the symbols to the nomenclature manually. But what formatting should I use? I tried the tabular environment, but my list soon grew too long for a single page.

Luckily, I came upon this post at the howtotex blog written by Frits Wenneker. He suggests using the longtable environment for the nomenclature - which elegantly breaks the table up to fit several pages. Check out his post if you're looking for something similar.

1 comments:

Jan Latham said...

So, what happened to your paper? I think it would be a good idea to have your phd paper done as soon as possible to avoid cramming. At least you know how to write a phd dissertation or thesis paper in the first place, because you didn’t encounter any trouble in the long run.

Post a Comment